At Philips Design we always believed in the transformational power of Design in making our world healthier and more sustainable. We are an integral and valuable part of the organization and its long heritage. We have earned and continue to earn our place as a leading health tech organization by placing the people in the center of our work and in delivering integrated solutions across the full health continuum.
Our designers are among the smartest and talented designers of a global community. We take pride in our work and continuously shift design paradigms, improve our ways of working and unlock new market value by providing an inclusive working environment of trust, collaboration, empowerment and curiosity.
In this role, you have the opportunity to
In the role of Product Designer you have, as part of a multi-disciplinary team, the possibility to stimulate the creative process with new ideas, input and thinking through the whole product experience (e.g., visualizations and simulations)
You are responsible for
- You will create and translate concepts into product designs from sketches, to draft volume models, assessment of models through to CAD files, Material & Finishing solutions, and support during engineering feasibility checks and production implementation.
- Create user-focused strategies, innovations, solutions and experiences and the user testing and validation of these, considering usability, sustainability and appropriate visual and verbal articulation in line with Design Language System and Brand guidelines
- Drive operational excellence and efficiency, delivering appropriate design quality within budget and project parameters
- Customer focus and Design consultancy, collaborating, partnering and co-creating with internal and external stakeholders, with clear and impactful communication and articulation of design decision making
- Able to drive solution creation within a cross-competence project team, thinking holistically in eco-systems.
- Works together with or consulting business stakeholders, actively manages relationships and challenges the status quo to drive innovation and step-up for the user.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Bachelor or Master Degree in product or product-interaction design
- 5+ years' relevant experience in one or more specific business domains and in one or more markets and cultures.
- You have worked in multidisciplinary teams and partnered with specialists in digital and communication design in order to develop fully integrated new propositions from start to end
- You are a "hybrid skilled" Product Designer with excellent product design skills, a broad interest in Product UX and user interaction design and curiosity for new technologies
- Technical experience from the realization phase of the product development process is required
- Experience with small or stand-alone electronic devices is preferred
- You have good analytical & conceptual skills in order to gather relevant user insights and to create meaningful and innovative solutions
- Your design skills help you to create functional product concepts that appropriately address the user-context requirements. And you are able to create effective visual languages by understanding the meaning and effect of these on the brand, audience, market and culture
- You have a professional, ambitious and collaborative mindset and are able to lead projects
- Ensuring all deadlines are met on time, with impeccable deliverables
- Building awareness of current trends through fashion, art, design, and digital related products through market research
- Having a strong narrative ability in verbal and written communication
- Having the ability to create visual tools that will bring your product narrative to life
- Showing excellent design skills, including hand and digital sketching and 3D Rhino or Solid Work and CAD
You are a part of, a team of Product, Digital UX, Communication Designers and Program Managers, with a main focus on one of our Personal Health businesses. Your team is part of the larger Amsterdam team of about 100 people and a global Philips Design community of approximately 450 designers supporting all of our Philips businesses. Your team works closely with business management, marketing and engineering. We create the future identity for the portfolio and execute this through projects, guidelines and final design specifications. If you are curious to read more about the Philips Design organization, click on the following link: https://www.philips.com/a-w/about/philips-design/our-people.html
Why should you freelance at Philips?
We offer projects that really put your skills to the test. Lots of learning opportunities through regular, on-the-job feedback and knowledge exchange with specialists in many different fields. Creative freedom so you can express yourself and apply your expertise in a way that makes an impact. A friendly and collaborative culture that encourages you to contribute to our health tech strategy, making life better for 3 billion lives a year by 2025.