Place in the organization:
The department Development is part of the innovation chain of Philips Consumer Lifestyle in the business unit Male Grooming. The department contains about 160 engineers divided in functionally specialized groups and is responsible for the development of Philips Shavers, Trimmers and Hybrids (One Blade). One of these specialized groups is Machining, Measuring and Materials and for this group we are looking for a Metrology Engineer.
A Metrology Engineer owns the knowledge necessary to develop and maintain a measurement process within agreed performance indicators. He or she is responsible for the development and deployment of measurements of critical to quality (CTQ) parameters to support function development, process development and production processes in the factory. It involves the definition what to measure, the choice of data gathering (scanning), development of algorithms to process the data and formulate conclusions with function and process developers.
Different measuring machines (CMM’s) and different sensor technologies are used to measure our 3D shapes in an accuracy range of microns.
The following main tasks are relevant for this job:
- Assess new product proposals on measurability.
- Write a measurement solution document where the definition and solution are explained.
- Set up a scanning method including machine choice, fixture design and measuring scripts.
- Writing of data processing algorithms (e.g. in Matlab, Python, C++).
- Execute a measuring system analysis to validate the accuracy of the solution.
- Define, set up and execute experiments to map causes of deviation.
- Write functional specifications for measurement solutions in the factory to steer the production process.
- Academic or Bachelor degree in preferably Metrology, Mechanics, Physics or Mathematics.
- Feeling for precision metal working and geometrical measurements.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methods (DfSS).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Decisive, result driven and creative team player.
- Ability to communicate on different levels (management, technical specialists, external suppliers).